Monday, January 5, 2009

Introduction

Welcome fellow bookworms!

I make this assumption, because if you are not a book-loving readster looking for your next novel to

  • curl up with by a fire on a cold winter’s day,
  • lay out with while catching some rays,
  • pass the time during breaks from the ordinary,
  • add to your personal reading list, or that of your book club,
  • or just spice up your life with some much needed culture,

then you may be at the wrong blog. “Between the Covers” offers a regular book review in an attempt to share worthwhile books or warn you against those that are not.

Hello, my name is Alex and I will be your tour guide through this complicated world of bountiful literature for as long as you care to keep visiting. I am currently a student at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, concentrating in English with a minor in History. I am also in the Secondary Teaching Certification Program through the School of Education with English and History as my dual teaching majors. I have taken many English classes and have loved my time discussing the works my professors have chosen to share with their students.

A couple years ago, I made the decision to devote my summer vacations to special reading time with novels I can personally pick myself. I have been documenting my previous summer readings on Facebook, but would love to share my discoveries with a wider audience. This upcoming semester, much to my regret, I will not be taking any English classes, but this means that I will do something I have never done during my college career: read for fun while a semester is still in session. It is a bold endeavor, I know, but I am so excited for this experience.

This blog will be devoted to written works that I have chosen to read rather than those that have been assigned to me. There is something special about picking up a novel for the sole purpose of enjoyment that also comes with the knowledge you will not be tested later on any of this information. As I continue with my mission to read for fun, please come back every Monday so I can share with you these books I have read. I'll do my best to read fast enough and keep you up to date!

“A man ought to read just as inclination leads him, for what he reads as a task will do him little good.”
- Samuel Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment