Monday, March 16, 2009

Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key

Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key, by Jack Gantos

I'm sorry; I just had to. I am teaching this book in a sixth grade class I have been working in as part of my education program this semester. To prepare, I just spent my Sunday afternoon reading it from front to cover. Previously, I had only read Chapter 3 "Handful" when I adapted it to become my ribbon-winning (sometimes) Dramatic Interpretation piece for the Detroit Catholic Forensics League competitions during my senior year of high school. Finally having the chance to read the whole thing, I can tell you: it is a joy.

Joey Pigza is "wired." Due to his hyperactivity, he is not following the rules, never paying attention and constantly bouncing off the walls. His medications are supposed to help control this problem, but they aren't always reliable and tend to wear off. He has had these issues ever since he was born, just like his grandmother who raised him and his father who left him. When his mother returns one summer, things start to change. His mother is more loving and tends not to shut him in the refrigerator, but Joey's hyperactivity remains. In class, it becomes a serious problem as the teachers and administrators are constantly threatening to send Joey to the special-ed center downtown. Deep down, Joey knows he is a good boy at heart, but he can't always control himself. Separate incidents involving a pencil sharpener, swallowing his house key, a field trip to Amish town, and a pair of scissors gets Joey in too much trouble for him or his recently returned mother to handle. Joey tries his hardest to do the right thing, but something always seems to go wrong.

Just reading Chapter 3 was really not enough to enjoy Jack Gantos's writing from the point of view of a young boy with hyperactivity. The narration makes you totally fall for this kid and feel what he feels. Some parts just break your heart while others tend to lift your soul. Following Joey on this journey of trying to deal with his hyperactivity and medications that don't always work the way they should is brilliantly done by Gantos's style. You will definitely fall for Joey and understand the hard conditions that I am sure many young other students are trying to deal with as they grow up, both internal and external.

Even though this is a book for young adults, I believe it has something to offer for a reader of any age. I can't wait to see how my reading activity goes with this novel.


“We read to know we are not alone.”
- C.S. Lewis

1 comment:

  1. My teacher is reading that book to my class right now! :D

    ReplyDelete