Monday, May 18, 2009

The Funny Thing Is...

The Funny Thing Is…, by Ellen DeGeneres

I sat debating if not the greatest question ever asked, then certainly one what would cause the entire world to scratch its head. Do audio books count as books in respect to book reviews? Then I thought to myself, “Hey, this is my blog. I do what I want. You can't control me.” And with a sense of teenage rebellion, I stormed off and slammed my door behind me to write this review of Ellen DeGeneres’s audio book that I bought on iTunes.

I love this audio book. Each chapter is like a mini-stand-up routine that kept me laughing out loud the entire time. I had my headphones in during a car ride and my entire family was getting upset with my giggling. I think they were just jealous that they were not in on the joke. And since this audio book was read by the author, it’s like Ellen became my best friend and she just loves to tell me stories. “The Brunch Bunch” is a great opener when regulars Paula Abdul, Diane Sawyer, Gloria Steinem, Donatella Versace, Ed Begley Jr., and Eminem come over to Ellen’s for Sunday brunch, but some have to go to the kid’s table when Diane shows up with Siegfried or Roy, Ed brings Tara Lipinski, and Paula brings her drycleaner. One chapter has Ellen convincing you “why prison wouldn’t be so bad” while another gives tips on getting out of embarrassing situations (such as accidentally flicking off John Travolta). In this book Ellen meets God, talks to a butterfly about the meaning of life, and even tells you how to save money by turning old fruit into blush and lip gloss (beware of bees). She is simply hilarious.

Each chapter is simply a gem. And having Ellen talk directly to you is simply one of the best experiences. She is seriously one of the funniest people, and as it turns out, not a bad writer at all. Her insights are unique and there is a natural flow to her ideas that seems like a normal conversation of the most random topics possible.

I recommend this book and audio book to everyone. Unless you are the type of person who hates having a good time, cringes at the sound of laughter, and loathes anything to do with creating positive energy, then do not read this book. If you are a fun-loving human, go get this book or even better: the audio book.

“The reading of all good books is like conversation with the finest men of the past centuries.”
- Descartes


No comments:

Post a Comment