Monday, June 29, 2009

The BFG

The BFG, by Roald Dahl

Forgive the seeming Dahl obsession, but when I bought these two books at a garage sale a couple weeks ago, I was too excited not to pass up the deal of 50 cents per book. Matilda was a joy as I’m sure you remember from last week’s review and this week it’s time for The BFG. I don’t really remember why I liked BFG as a child, and as I re-read it, I was not reminded.

Sophie is a girl in an English orphanage who, during the witching hour, sees a giant walking around London. She is not alone; this giant also sees her and takes her away to the Land of Giants. Lucky for Sophie, she was kidnapped by the title character the Big Friendly Giant. Sophie makes quick friends with this giant who definitely lives up to his name. When Sophie learns more about the giant country, she is fascinated to learn how the BFG captures dreams and sends them off to children around the world, but she is also appalled to learn that the nine other giants go around the world eating humans. The BFG does not approve and is a vegetarian, even if it means having to eat the disgusting snozzcumbers. Together, Sophie and the BFG create a plan involving the Queen of England to convince the world of the existence of giants in order to stop more humans being gobbled up by Fleshlumpeater, Bonecruncher, Manhugger, Childchewer, Meatdripper, Gizzardgulper, Maidmasher, Bloodbottler, and the Butcher Boy.

This novel makes some excellent points about the respect for all life both animal and human. The BFG even discusses the point that humans are not better than giants because humans are the only creatures who kill their own kind (not totally true, but the giants do not kill other giants). There are even more interesting points concerning belief in the unbelievable and being careful you don’t think you know everything. There are some fine lessons in this novel, but I think it might be best to select out those key parts and only read those. While the language of the BFG starts as charming (he has his own giant words for things as well as a mixed-up language because he never went to school), the BFG ended up just becoming annoying. There was a lot of explaining needed since one had to describe this fantasy country and all in it including the dream making process, but after a while it became dull and later was repetitive as all of this information was then retold to try and convince the Queen of England. The illustrations by Quentin Blake are still pleasant and enjoyable.

Although this novel had some interesting lessons to learn, and I’m sure many children will find the farting (excuse me, “whizpopping”) scenes humorous, as an adult, this book is not something to re-read. I tried to go back to my roots and think of better childhood times, but I only felt sorry for myself that I ever liked this book. I apologize to all BFG fans, but have you re-read it lately? Go read Matilda.


“So please, oh PLEASE, we beg, we pray, Go throw your TV set away, And in its place you can install, A lovely bookshelf on the wall.”
- Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

No comments:

Post a Comment