Monday, June 22, 2009

Matilda

Matilda, by Roald Dahl

I am in love with this story, but believe it or not, this is the first time I have ever actually read it myself. When I was younger, my mother made it a mission one summer to go to the library and pick out books she would read to my sister and I. Matilda is the only one of those books I remember her reading to us. I have kept that memory alive thanks to Danny DeVito and his movie version of this classic, but reading this again felt amazing.

Matilda was never really treated like the favorite child or even a well-loved child. She was constantly left alone to do things for herself since she was an infant. Her father was a used car salesman, her brother went to school, and her mother went to play Bingo several times during the week. Now alone, Matilda was able to become self-reliant. She taught herself how to do everything, including how to read. This girl could read at the age of 5! After having read everything in the house, Matilda decided to travel to the library where Mrs. Phelps the librarian helped her newfound love of the written work grow. Matilda was never appreciated and therefore decided that whenever her parents did something awful to her, it was only right that she pay them back. From sneaking in a talking parrot and convincing her family it was a ghost to bleaching her father’s hair and even super-gluing his hat to his head. Finally, it was decided that Matilda should go to school at Crunchem Hall. Her teacher Miss Honey was nice enough and found an interest in Matilda and her mind from day one, however the headmistress Miss Trunchbull believed the opposite, that all children are warts. Miss Trunchbull locked children in the Chokey, made them eat huge amounts of cake (you wouldn’t think this was mean, but it was), and even through children out of windows or over fences by their hair. Matilda excelled on her own in class with a little independent guidance from Miss Honey, but it wasn’t until the first time Miss Trunchbull was assigned to take over the class that she realized her full potential. Tipping over Miss Trunchbull’s newt-filled water glass with her eyes was “the first miracle.” Able to reproduce the experience with Miss Honey in private, they both agreed it was best that no one find out. After Miss Honey confesses the story of her childhood, Matilda decides to use her power for good in order to help the one person who has truly cared for her.

Looking back, I am not sure that I fully remember understanding everything during my first encounter with this text. Reading it again, I found an awful lot of British vocabulary that I’m sure must have gone completely over my head as a child. Nevertheless, this is a fantastically amusing story about believing in yourself and reaching your full potential. The illustrations by Quentin Blake are wonderful and bring you so much deeper into the story. I like the reasoning behind how Matilda gains her powers and then loses them, something that is in the novel but not in the movie, so you will have to read this great novel to find out.

This book is a must-read for everyone. Even if you have already seen Mara Wilson work her magic in the movie, nothing can compare to the novel. I don’t know anyone who says, “Matilda, ugh I hate that story.” No one. So if you do not know this novel or if it has just been a while, please read it. Whether it is for the first, second or thirtieth time, reading this book will remind you of your love for reading and the power reading novels can hold and will definitely inspire you to continue reading. (And if you need any suggestions, you are already at the right place!)

I think this following quote is completely perfect for this review that will be dedicated to my mother...
“Children are made readers on the laps of their parents.”
- Emilie Buchwald


And for your enjoyment/a trip down memory lane:

No comments:

Post a Comment